Ganesha Games

Disclaimer 
I am just a fan of these games. All material on this blog is used without permission. No Copyright or Trade Mark infringement or challenge is intended. I have no business relationship with Ganesha Games or its employees. Ganesha Games products are Copyright by Ganesha Games (www.ganeshagames.net).

Making CD Movement Trays
Now that Swatters, the bug hunting game, has been released by Ganesha Games (www.ganeshagames.net) I need some CD Movement Trays. A link to a tutorial by Paul Shorten (http://sho3box.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/c-d-business/ ) is included in the rulebook. His CD Trays look very professional. Using that tutorial as a starting point I decided to make some CD Movement Trays of my own.

I obtained a cheap tower of 50 CD Rs. I only needed 25 so I gave the surplus discs to my college age son. I had one additional old CD. I will make 26 CD Movement Trays.


Step One
Remove the Cds from their tower and lightly sand them with rough sandpaper. Sand the shiny side, not the label side. I used a sanding block and 80 grit sandpaper. The idea is to rough up the surface, so it will hold paint. Don’t try to sand them smooth.  It is best to do this outside in a well-ventilated area.  The sanding makes a super fine dust – do not breathe it. I put down a thick layer of newspapers to protect the table I was working on.

Step Two
Once the discs are all sanded and the dust is cleaned off of them you need to prime them. I did this outside on a table and put down a thick layer of newspapers to protect the table. I used Armory White Primer in a spray can. You could use a brush-on primer such as Gesso if you wanted. I prefer spray paint and primer because it is easy to apply and to clean up after use. I gave the CDs two coats of primer and let them dry for one hour between coats. After the second coat I let them dry overnight.


Step Three
After the primer was thoroughly dry I gave the discs two coat of Fat Hermann Light Green (Tamiya AS-23 Light Green – Luftwaffe) spray paint. I gave the CDs two coats and let them dry for one hour between coats. I did this outside on a table and put down a thick layer of newspapers to protect the table. After the second coat I let them dry overnight.

Fat Hermann Light Green is really more of a flat mid-green color. I like the color and had some left over from another project so I used it. Fat Hermann may have done fine as a pilot in World War One, but his knowledge of paint color shades is sadly lacking. His performance as a Reichsmarschall and commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe wasn’t so hot either.
Step Four
After the paint was thoroughly dry I gave the discs a coating of Woodland Scenics Medium Green Grass Mix (flock). I used an aluminum roaster pan that I got at The Dollar Store. It would only hold four CDs at a time so this took a while. I first coated the Cds with Elmer’s Glue-All (PVA), also called White Glue, then put them in the pan and covered them with a half inch (12.7mm) layer of flock. I let the flock sit on the discs for 10 minutes, and then carefully removed the excess flock. I let the discs dry overnight.

Step Five
After the flock was thoroughly dry I gave the discs a coating of Armory Clear Matte Sealer in a spray can. I let the discs dry overnight.

This is a Close-up of a single flocked disc.



Step Six
Here is a picture of the finished Cd Movement Trays stored in their Tower. 26 discs (with flock) just fit in a 50 CD Tower.




Miniatures displayed on CD Movement Trays
Banzai! A World War Two Imperial Japanese Army command squad and a squad of Army Ant Warriors (Antus Giganticus Blitzkriegus).






The Army Ants are rubber toy ants that I found at a local toy store. The World War Two Imperial Japanese Army figures are actually Gordon & Hague Pre-Painted 10mm Series Two ACW “Butternut” Confederates. They are now out of production.  They came from the manufacturer painted in the incorrect color, which is really too bad as the companion 10mm Union Army figures look very nice. I’m not up to repainting several hundred Confederate miniatures, so I have never repainted them. A friend saw them and jokingly said that they were perfect figures for a World War Two Imperial Japanese Army. The Japanese Battle Flag I found for free somewhere on the Internet.

End of Project
 
 




10 comments:

  1. Looks very nice, but I would have glued a small bit of plastic over the center hole. The convenience of storing them on the CD spindle is trumped (in my opinion) by having a glaring hole in the middle of your nicely flocked scenic base whilst playing a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left the hole so that the discs could be stored in the CD Tower. Miniatures on a 15mm or bigger base can be used to cover the hole.

      Delete
  2. Good description. A close-up shot of the final CD would've been nice though. Good luck on your new blogging adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
    2. I added a close-up of a single flocked disc.

      Delete
  3. Definitely a good start. I certainly wouldn't have thought of putting them BACk into the tower to store them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of it either. Paul Shorten, who did the original tutorial (a link is in the Swatters e-rulebook) thought of it first.

      Delete
  4. These look good. I hadn't thought of the clear coat.
    I glue a couple of pieces of thin craft foam underneath the disc so they are super easy to pick up and move around

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea. I wish I had thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can all steal from each other and then claim mutual credit for the finished product!

    ReplyDelete

Constructive comments are always welcome. Thank You for your comment.